Serving All of Indiana & Illinois
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers
  • Indiana Trial Lawyers Association

Indiana Personal Injury Lawyers

Crossen Kooi: Powerful Advocates for Victims

If you need to file a personal injury claim for compensation after an accident, Crossen Kooi can help you seek damages. Backed by four decades of professional legal experience, our team of personal injury attorneys is well equipped to help you obtain the compensation you require in order to recover and move forward.

Examples of the types of personal injury claims and lawsuits we handle include:

  • Car accidents
  • Motorcycle accidents
  • Construction accidents

For a complete list of our legal services, visit our areas of practice page.

How We Handle Personal Injury Cases

We take a custom approach to every case that we handle. Together, our team is ready to help you secure the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled. With Crossen Kooi on your side, you will have a team of professionals working for you that includes:

  • Experienced attorneys
  • Meticulous investigators
  • Knowledgeable paralegals
  • Skilled support staff

In the state of Indiana, injury victims have a limited time in which they can take legal action. Don't wait to contact our firm for a free case evaluation.

What should I do after an accident and personal injury?

Immediately following an accident where you have injured, it is very important to take certain steps to protect your rights:

  • If involved in an automobile accident, immediately after the collision and if you are physically able, obtain the name, address,telephone number, driver's license information, and insurance information of the other parties involved. Write it down someplace where you won't forget it. Keep it someplace where you won't lose it.
  • If involved in slip and fall or trip and fall accident, as soon as you are able, be sure to look at what caused you to trip and/or slip and fall. See if you can determine what caused the condition to materialize and see if you can determine where the condition came from, what caused the condition, and how long it may have been there based on the physical surroundings.
  • If there are any witnesses at the scene of your accident, ask them to give you their name and telephone number so you might be able to contact them, if necessary.
  • If you are injured on the property of a commercial establishment, like a department store, restaurant , or grocery store, be sure to report the incident to personnel and be sure the incident is documented by the personnel by way of some written form.
  • At the scene of any automobile collision, call the police, since you are required by law to do so, and this will ensure that the offending driver, if any, is given a citation. Do not leave the scene of the accident until such time as the officers have authorized to do so. The presence of police officers will help to assist in interviewing witnesses at the accident scene. By all means, if the police recommend you be transported by ambulance to a medical facility, follow their recommendation.
  • At your first available opportunity, contact your insurance agent and/or your insurance carrier and report your accident to them.
  • When and if the offending driver's insurance company and/or other driver contacts you directly for purposes of giving a statement or signing an authorization to release medical information , respectfully decline to do so. Refer them to Crossen Kooi. Ask that they only contact you by and through your attorneys in the future.
  • If you have gone to an emergency room, contact your family physician or recommended specialists as soon as possible for necessary follow up treatment.
  • If you need to see a doctor for injuries you sustained, be careful in what you tell your doctor about how the accident occurred so that he may accurately reflect that in the history, and be sure to explain to your doctor the full nature and extent of any complaints you may be experiencing at the time of the examination, as well as what you have experienced leading up to the examination.
  • Shortly after the accident, take time to write down a detailed accounting and/or chronology as to the facts and circumstances surrounding your accident while it is fresh in your mind.
  • If you have been injured by any kind of product, you should be sure to retain all parts of the product and all purchase documents in order to prove a claim against the company responsible.
  • If medical receipts or bills are generated regarding your injuries and treatment, you should save those documents as well so as to make a claim for out of pocket expenditures at a later date.
  • You should keep a log of all events regarding your condition and document any pain and suffering, loss of work, impairment, and/or life impact as it occurs on a daily basis.
  • As the saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” Arrange for photographs to be taken of any cuts, bruises, visible injuries, slings, casts, and/or other devices.
  • Similarly, if you have been injured in a slip and fall, an auto accident, or the like, you should attempt to take pictures of the condition you deem to be responsible as soon as possible. This will help document the unsafe condition and is especially important in proving the existence of transient hazards such as ice, snow, water , oil, etc.
  • If you are inside a premises, be sure to bring the matter to the attention of personnel in charge so they may document your injuries, your potential claim, and the existence of the unsafe condition. Be sure to point out to the premises owner and/or occupier where you fell or what caused your injury . Be sure they write it down. They are obligated to preserve this documentationand it might prove to be extremely important to any lawsuit you might file in the future.
  • Be sure to contact Crossen Kooi, your personal injury specialists as soon as possible to assist in your claim .
  • Please keep an accurate record of all time lost from work because of your injuries, including time off to visit doctors and therapists. Please have your employer send Crossen Kooi, written confirmation of the amount of wages represented by this time lost. We require this information even if you are compensated for your lost pay through sick leave or vacation time.
  • Similarly, provide us with copies of all your medical, hospital , and/or pharmaceutical bills. Keep a record of any out-of-pocket expenditures you might have in connection with your accident such as the hiring of extra help around house, mileage, or taxi fare for doctor visits. All these expenses should be paid by check and you should get a receipt so that there is a paper trail.
  • If you have health or medical insurance to cover medical bills, please consult with us prior to submission.

Determining Liability After an Accident

It is not the responsibility of the injured party to determine who should be held liable after an accident. That job is performed by an attorney, and at Crossen Kooi, we are more than happy to help you establish liability in your case. As a full-service personal injury law firm, we are more than familiar with how to handle liability claims.

The financial burdens following an injurious accident should be the responsibility of the at-fault party, and our legal team can help make sure the liable party in your case covers your damages. Recognized as among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers and selected for inclusion in the list of Super Lawyers® , our legal team can be trusted to handle your personal injury claim with care and accuracy.